This hearty beef stew features plenty of comfort-food deliciousness. Enjoy with a fresh loaf of warm bread.
Prep time:20-25 minutes (Plus 2-3 hours marinating time)
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 2 lbs chuck beef roast, cut into 1” cubes
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped and divided
- 1 T. smoked paprika
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4-5 medium red potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1” pieces
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Fresh parsley, rough chopped for serving
- In a large bowl, add the meat, half of the garlic, paprika, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and let rest in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours for the flavors to blend.
- When ready to cook, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and remaining garlic until onions become translucent and lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a minute or two then glaze with the white wine. Stir well scraping bottom to lift any stuck-on bits of fond from bottom of pan.
- Simmer for 5 -10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add the meat mixture scraping any seasoning and juices from the bowl into the pot.
- Add chopped potatoes to the pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato and wine mixture to the top of the potatoes.
- Pour in the broth. Add cinnamon stick and stir it all together.
- Bring to a low boil and cook uncovered for 30-45 minutes or until beef is tender and potatoes are cooked through
- Let rest 5 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Spoon hot stew into individual serving bowls. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve with warm bread. Enjoy!