Without question, the addition of the salt-cured lemon slices is what elevates this recipe from bland to grand. The bright, briny flavor of the preserved lemon adds a fresh burst of flavor to an otherwise sedate dish. The lemons are easy to make by pressing fresh lemon slices between 2 Himalayan salt blocks. Allow 2 days for the salt blocks to work their magic and you will be rewarded with a very tasty treat you’ll reach for again and again.
- 1 small zucchini, washed, cut in half, and uniformly sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, washed, cut in half, and uniformly sliced
- 1 head cauliflower, washed and trimmed, florets only
- 1 head broccoli, washed and trimmed, florets only
- 4 kale leaves, stems, and ribs removed, washed, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 T. olive oil
- 12 grape tomatoes, washed and cut in half lengthwise
- 6-8 large fresh basil leaves, washed, rolled, and cut into thin strips
- 4-6 salt-cured organic lemon slices, very finely chopped including rinds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries [optional]
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 2 t. honey
- 2 t. Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a glass bowl, combine all vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined. If possible, make it in advance to allow the flavors to mingle. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Set aside.
- Place zucchini, squash, cauliflower, and broccoli in a large microwave-safe dish and add 2 T. water. Cover and microwave high for about 5 or 6 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Cook times will vary by microwave, so test after 3 minutes and adjust cook time accordingly. Do not overcook. Set aside to cool.
- Add torn kale and drizzle with olive oil in a large glass bowl. With your fingers, massage each piece of kale until the olive oil is worked into the leaf. This will soften the kale and improve its taste. Add cooled zucchini, squash, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, basil, chopped preserved lemon, and cranberries to the bowl. Toss to combine. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Right before serving, add the desired amount of citrus vinaigrette and toss to coat thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Services Areas Covered
Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA