This very simple, delicious fish and vegetable dinner comes together quickly with the help of a multi-tiered electric steamer. Washing the vegetables well and cutting them into large pieces and leaving the skin on results in the best texture and maintains many nutrients that would otherwise be lost.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1.5 lbs cod filet, cut into desired serving portions
1/2 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. ground saffron
1/2 t. ground bell pepper
1 medium broccoli head
3-4 small bell peppers, multi-colored for best visual appearance
8-10 mushrooms, trimmed
4 medium carrots, washed, not peeled
1 medium lemon, cut into quarters.
Sea salt, black pepper, to taste
Water for steaming, per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Wash the cod filet, lightly pat dry and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine coriander, saffron and ground bell pepper. Mix well. Evenly sprinkle over the cod.
- Wash all the vegetables. Cut bell pepper in half and remove seeds. Cut broccoli into large florets. Leave carrots whole or cut in large chunks.
- Pour water into bottom of steamer per instructions of your model. Place seasoned cod on bottom shelf of steamer and all of the vegetables in the top basket.
- Season vegetables with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Steam fish for approximately 20 minutes. Depending on the size of the vegetables, 20 minutes should result in tender crisp results. If desired, remove fish and continue steaming vegetables an additional 5 minutes to achieve desired results.
- Cut cooked vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Place fish on each serving plate, add vegetables and squeeze fresh lemon juice over each serving.