This delicious soup is thick and rich and creamy. The carrots, tomatoes, and lentils complement each other well and the cilantro and chili flakes give it just the right kicked-up flavor.
Tip: Organic carrots are recommended in this recipe. Wash carrots well and leave the skin on to maintain nutrients that would otherwise be lost.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
3/4 c. split red lentils
1 qt. hot vegetable stock, divided
2 T. Olive oil
1 Pinch of Chili flakes
1 lb. Carrots washed well and coarsely sliced
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 c. milk
4-5 branches of cilantro, chopped, to taste
Greek yogurt or sour cream, to taste
Crusty bread or warm naan
Cilantro to garnish
- In a medium bowl, add just enough warm vegetable stock to cover the lentils to begin to soften.
- Heat the stock pot over medium heat. Add chili flakes and let cook for 1 minute to release their oil.
- Add olive oil, onion, and carrots. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, and remaining stock. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add milk and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until lentils and vegetables are fully cooked.
- Add cilantro.
- For a smooth texture blend with an immersion blender.
- Adjust seasonings and finish with yogurt or sour cream, garnish with cilantro, and enjoy with warm bread.