Lasagna is the quintessential comfort food. Always cheesy, always delicious. Rolled into lasagna roll ups, it looks elegant. Lasagna rolls are great for portion control, for meal prep and are easily frozen. Next time you have a lasagna craving, try these. Whether you are serving them as a comforting family dinner at home, or as a main course while entertaining, you will be glad you did.
Tip: Lasagna rolls can be rolled and plated seam-side down or stood on their side as shown in this recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 15 lasagna noodles
- 2 c. ricotta cheese
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese, freshly grated and divided
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 egg
- ½ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 8-10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3 c. marinara sauce, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cook lasagna noodles, just shy of al dente, in salted boiling water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta, 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, and parsley in a medium mixing bowl.
- Press the spinach in cheesecloth or between paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Add to the ricotta mixture breaking it up with your hands or a fork as you add it to the bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spread 1 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Once the noodles have finished cooking, drain and lay in a single layer to prevent sticking together on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan or another flat surface.
- Spread each lasagna noodle with 2-3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture, covering the entire length of the noodle.
- Once the noodles are evenly covered with the ricotta mixture, roll the noodles and place them into the prepared casserole dish standing upright so you can see the rolled layers on top.
- Cover the noodles with the marinara sauce and sprinkle on the reserved mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!