This tasty, versatile dish can be used just about anywhere you’d use traditional tomato salsa. Serve with tortilla chips or stir it into your favorite soup and chili recipes for additional flavor.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
1 lb. tomatillos
2 medium jalapeno peppers
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
4 green onions, chopped
¼ c. fresh cilantro leaves
¼ c. fresh lime juice
2 t. ground cumin
2 t. dried oregano
Optional: 1 T. maple syrup
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Husk tomatillos and cut in half. Arrange tomatillos in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet, along with whole jalapeno peppers and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut jalapeno peppers in half and remove seeds before transferring the roasted veggies to a blender or food processor. Add green onion, cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin, and oregano. Pulse until ingredients are combined, but the mixture is still a little chunky.
- Taste and add a drizzle of maple syrup to sweeten, if desired. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve immediately or freeze for later use. Enjoy!