Fresh and delicious, this salad makes a great lunch or light dinner. For heartier appetites,Functional Medicine Los Angeles encourages you to add cooked chicken, shrimp, or ground beef.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 6” Flour Tortillas, quartered and sliced into thin strips
1 t. Ground Cumin
1 t. Smoked Paprika
1 Medium Head Iceberg Lettuce, thinly sliced (approximately 4 cups)
1 14-oz. can of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 14-oz. can of Corn, rinsed and drained
1 Red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 Red onion, thinly sliced
1 Avocado, peeled and pitted
1/4 c. Sour Cream
2 Medium Limes, juiced
1/2 c. Cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 c. Cotija cheese, crumbled
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400° degrees F.
2. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tortilla strips with olive oil, ground cumin, and smoked paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
4. In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, black beans, corn, red pepper, and red onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the avocado, sour cream, and lime juice to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
6. Top the salad with the crispy tortilla strips and sprinkle with cilantro and cotija cheese.
If you enjoy making healthy food to share with your friends and family, make sure to see our other recipes at Functional Medicine Los Angeles.
Functional Medicine Studio City offers countless tips and tricks to make your meals healthier to promote your well-being.