The basil pesto really complements the eggplant in this easy vegetarian dish. This dish is quick and easy making it a perfect weeknight meal, yet it is elegant enough to serve to company. Pair with a hearty salad for a delicious complete meal. Note – Fresh mozzarella is highly recommended in this recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
2 T. olive oil, divided
1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
1-1/2 c. marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
1/2 c. basil pesto, homemade or store-bought
1 7-oz. ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/4 c. parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 c. fresh basil, chopped
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and grease a large rimmed baking sheet with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Arrange the prepared eggplant slices on the greased baking sheet and place them in the oven to roast until nicely browned around the edges, around 20 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Arrange half of the roasted eggplant slices on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with half of the marinara, half of the pesto, and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat for the second layer and finish by sprinkling the parmesan on top. You can also use a smaller baking dish and make more layers for taller eggplant parmesan.
- Place in the oven to roast until everything is bubbling nicely and the cheese is all melted and golden, around 10-15 minutes. Top with fresh parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Services Areas Covered
Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA