With garden-fresh tomatoes in abundant supply, summer and fall are the perfect times to enjoy this quick and easy roasted yellow tomato soup. This recipe is versatile enough to be enjoyed on warm summer days or cool fall evenings, depending on how you serve it.
For a nicer look, use tomatoes of the same color. If you mix yellow and red tomatoes, the end result is an unattractive hue that isn’t very appetizing. Also, slow roasting your tomatoes will bring out their natural sweetness. However, the browning that occurs during this process will create a darker soup than using raw tomatoes.
Ripe yellow tomatoes, approximately 2 pounds
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1 T. garlic powder
½ c. vegetable stock
1 large bunch of fresh basil, washed and patted dry, plus additional sprigs for garnish
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into quarters.
2 stalks of celery, washed and cut into chunks
2 large (or 3 small) cloves of fresh garlic, peeled
1 T. ground cumin
3 T. full-fat coconut milk
1 large bunch of red radishes
several very thin slices of yellow tomato
sprigs fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 300°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Slice yellow tomatoes into ½” slices and place on the prepared baking sheet. Leave room between slices to prevent overcrowding. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and roast for approximately 2 hours or until the tomatoes are browned around the edges.
- Wash and pat radishes dry before slicing them into thin pieces*. Place on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place in the oven with the tomatoes, but be sure to check on them frequently because they will brown up much faster than the tomatoes. Roast until slightly browned and crispy. Remove from oven and reserve to garnish finished soup.
*Tip: For best results, use a Mandoline slicer for radishes to achieve even thickness.
- Once tomatoes are done roasting, remove them from the oven and cool slightly. Add roasted tomato slices to a high-powered blender or food processor, along with the stock, basil, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, and coconut milk. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Blend on high until smooth and thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. If desired, add additional vegetable stock, 1 tablespoon at a time, and re-blend to achieve desired consistency.
- To serve, top with roasted radishes and a sprig of fresh basil. Enjoy!