This satisfying, earthy soup is warm and comforting. Combining mushrooms, spinach and potatoes lend perfect flavor and the crunchy chickpeas on top in place of croutons make it a standout dish!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 3 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. vegetable stock
- 2 c. warm water
- 7 oz. Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 7 oz. heavy cream*
- 2 c. baby spinach, rough chopped
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and lightly patted dry
- 2 T. olive oil
*To prevent curdling, add a small of hot liquid from the pan to heavy cream before adding it to the soup.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion becomes soft and translucent approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, water, mushrooms, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil until potatoes are soft, approximately 10 minutes. The time to cook will vary based on the size of the potato cubes.
- Add a spoonful of the hot liquid to the heavy cream to temper it before adding it to the pot. Stir to combine and simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Remove from heat and set aside, covered to retain heat.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with crispy chickpeas. Enjoy!