Our functional medicine Studio City has prepared a scrumptious recipe for all. These delicious zucchini boats are loaded with seasoned ground beef, fresh vegetables, and melted cheddar cheese. You can minimize total prep time by utilizing the time the zucchini is in the oven to work on prep items, such as sautéing the beef and dicing the avocado and vegetables.
Time-Saving Tip: Prepare larger batches of the seasoning blend featured here for quick and easy meal prep later. Trust us at Functional Medicine Los Angeles! It’s perfect for dips, easy weeknight tacos, and more.
Functional medicine Los Angeles suggests that you just simply combine one tablespoon of chili powder and one-half tablespoon each of ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, plus a half teaspoon of black pepper in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. (If you prefer more heat, add some chipotle powder and/or crushed red pepper, to taste). Cover and shake vigorously to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to six months.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 6 zucchini boats
3 medium zucchinis, halved lengthwise
2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
¼ c. white onion, diced small
2-3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1 lb. ground beef (80/20)
2 t. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
½ t. smoked paprika
1 c. sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 large avocado, seeded and diced
1 large red (or green) jalapeño, diced small
1/3 medium red onion, diced
20 cherry or grape tomatoes, diced
¼ c. fresh cilantro leaves chopped
3 T. fresh lime juice
Optional: fresh lime wedges and additional cilantro, to serve
Seasoned Sour Cream Dip:
½ c. sour cream
½ t. chili powder
¼ t. ground cumin
¼ t. smoked paprika
¼ t. garlic powder
¼ t. onion powder
¼ t. salt
pinch black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with a Silpat™ baking mat or piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Scoop out the seeds from the zucchini with a spoon and discard. Place the zucchini halves cut side up on the prepared baking sheet and brush with one tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and place the baking sheet in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the seasoned dip by combining the sour cream, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper, in a medium bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the white onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and develops a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and season with chili powder, ground cumin, and smoked paprika. Lightly season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine.
- Cook, breaking up the beef into small pieces with a spatula while stirring, until the beef is browned and cooked through, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain off any excess fat if necessary.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and fill with the seasoned beef. Top with half the shredded cheddar and return to the oven until the cheese is melted, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the diced avocado, tomatoes, red onion, red jalapeños, cilantro, and fresh lime juice to a medium bowl and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the stuffed zucchini halves to a large serving platter. Top with the diced avocado and tomato mixture and the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Serve immediately with the seasoned sour cream dip on the side. Offer lime wedges and additional cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Total Carbs: 11.68g
Net Carbs: 7.18g
*Source: HappyForks.com recipe analyzer
This information is provided for entertainment purposes only and is not to be construed as medical advice.
Please Note: Nutritional information for this recipe is an approximation because some of the ingredients listed may not be included in the HappyForks.com ingredient database exactly as described here. If you are looking for a functional medicine Burbank, know that you have come to the right place!