Whether you call this mouthwatering sandwich a grinder, hoagie, sub, hero, or spuckie, this hearty sandwich is bursting with flavor and is sure to satisfy even the biggest of appetites.
Try this easy-to-follow recipe from Functional Medicine Los Angeles, a renowned functional medicine Burbank provider!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 12-15” loaf of Italian bread
- 6-8 slices Mortadella
- 6-8 slices Soppressata
- 6-8 slices prosciutto
- 6-8 slices salami
- 6-8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 slices provolone cheese
- 5 T. Mayonnaise
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 1 T. Red wine vinegar2 T. Pickle relish1 t. Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and place pepper, to taste
- 3 T. sliced banana peppers
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small iceberg lettuce head, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 3 T. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat the broiler to 400° F. For easy cleanup our functional medicine Studio City doctors suggest you line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the Italian loaf in half lengthwise and place on the baking sheet.
- On the bottom half of the bread, evenly layer and distribute all the deli meats.
- On the top half of the bread, evenly layer and distribute the cheese slices.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven. Functional medicine Los Angeles experts suggest you broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread has become nice and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, make the salad mixture by whisking the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, pickle relish, and Italian seasoning together. Season to taste with a small pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Add banana peppers, red onion, and iceberg lettuce.
- Toss to combine.
- Remove the bread from the oven.
- Pile on the salad mixture. Our Hollywood functional medicine doctors suggest topping with tomato slices and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slice into four hearty sandwiches and enjoy!