Adaptogenic herbs are botanicals that naturally provide a number of health benefits. They are especially helpful in treating mental and physical stress. These herbs provide energy, strength, mental focus, and clarity without the use of synthetic supplements or medications. We know this for a fact, as a functional medicine Burbank.
Over the next few days, Functional Medicine Los Angeles will be writing about herbs that provide adaptogenic benefits: Eleuthero
What is Eleuthero?
Eleuthero, also known as Siberian Ginseng, has been used in China as a traditional herbal remedy for over 2,000 years. It is native to northern China, North and South Korea, southeastern Russia, and Japan. Traditionally, eleuthero has been used as a stimulant and to boost the immune system.
Health Benefits of Eleuthero
Eleuthero provides a wide variety of health benefits. These include:
Improving Mental Functioning
- Eleuthero works to increase blood flow to the brain. This helps to improve mental functions such as concentration, focus, reasoning, and memory.
- Eliminating Fatigue and Boosting Energy
- Eleuthero has long been used as a natural stimulant. It increases energy levels and its naturally occurring compounds work to relieve exhaustion.
- Since eleuthero boosts the immune system, the body’s natural healing processes work more quickly. The herb also contains compounds that have been proven in studies to be very effective in the prevention of ulcers.
- Eleuthero extracts have been shown to bind to the receptor sites of estrogen. This means that it can help to decrease the undesirable effects of estrogen withdrawal in menopausal women.
Repair and Prevent Nerve Damage
- Research has proven that eleuthero works to encourage the regeneration of nerves following damage as well as synapse regrowth in lab rats with nerve damage.
Decreases Effects of Osteoporosis
- Eleuthero has been shown for many years to be effective at boosting bone and muscle strength. Based on our functional medicine Los Angeles research, a 2013 study showed a nearly 17% increase in the bone density of lab rat femur bones when the rats have been given 100mg of the herb daily for a period of 8 weeks.
How is Eleuthero Used?
Eleuthero in powder form can be mixed with water or juice and ingested. A daily dosage of 1-2g is recommended, divided evenly into 2-3 doses and taken between meals.