This quick & easy salad features a crunchy combination of crisp apples, celery, arugula, and toasted hazelnuts lightly tossed with a homemade Honey-Dijon vinaigrette.
Kitchen Tip: Use the thinner stalks, they are less rough but crispy at the same time. Toss the chopped apple with some fresh lemon juice before adding it to the salad to minimize browning. It is easy to toast your own hazelnuts. See the instructions at the bottom of this recipe.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 (to roast hazelnuts)
Honey-Dijon Salad Vinaigrette:
1 t. Dijon Mustard
2 T. runny honey
2 T. cider vinegar
4 T. olive oil or any substitute
Pink Himalayan Salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 c. hazelnuts, toasted, roughly chopped, divided
6 large celery stalks (preferably organic), sliced
1-2 large red apples, thinly sliced
1/4 c. thinly sliced red onions or shallots
2 c. arugula
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Toast hazelnuts per instructions at the bottom of the recipe. Set aside.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by adding all ingredients to a small jar and whisking vigorously, emulsifying it into a creamy consistency. Adjust seasoning as necessary and set aside.
- Place arugula in the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- Add sliced apples, celery, red onions, and 2/3rd of the toasted hazelnuts. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad (you may not need all of it) and toss to combine.
- To serve, divide salad onto chilled plates and top with remaining toasted hazelnuts. Enjoy!
Note: To toast hazelnuts:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spread nuts out in a single layer on a dry baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, giving the nuts a stir once or twice to encourage even toasting.
- Allow cooling before using.