Nothing says old-school comfort food like tender homemade pure beef meatballs and pasta in a rich tomato broth after a busy day.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 35 min
Serves: 4 – 6
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 t. Italian seasoning, preferably homemade (SEE BELOW)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/3 c. flour
1/4 t. Sea salt
1/4 t. Black pepper
2 t. olive oil
1/2 c. onion, diced
2-3 medium carrots, diced
1 15 oz. can be crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15 oz. can of Italian tomato sauce
6 c. low-sodium beef broth
1 t. Italian seasoning, preferably homemade (see below)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
3/4 c. small dry pasta shape (like small shells or ditalini)
2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning,
- Make a well in the center and the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle the mixture with cheese, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Mix to combine ingredients. Avoid overmixing.