The sweet, earthy beets and tangy, bright citrus make a delicious pairing, but when you add some cool, crisp fennel to the mix, you have a truly memorable trio, according to Functional Medicine Los Angeles specialists who recommend this recipe.
For a light, yet filling the main course, this flavor-packed salad features tender roast beets and the classic combination of citrus and fennel. Advisors from Functional Medicine Burbank recommend pairing it with a cup or bowl of your favorite hot or chilled soup for a more filling meal. This salad is both visually appealing and exceptionally well-balanced.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
- Serves: 6
Ingredients for Orange Vinaigrette:
- ¼ c. vinegar (balsamic)
- 2 T. orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 t. zest of fresh lemon
- 1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 T. lime juice (fresh)
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. maple syrup
- 2 t. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- To taste, season with sea salt and black pepper.
- 4 medium beets
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large organic oranges, zested, sliced, and cut into wedges
- ½ small fennel bulb, cut into thin slices
- 2 c. baby Arugula lettuce
- 2 c. mixed salad greens
- ½ c. walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients in a glass bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Wash beets and pat dry. Place each beet onto a piece of aluminum foil and rub it with olive oil. Sprinkle each beet generously with salt before wrapping in aluminum foil and placing it on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and roast the beets for 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until beets are tender.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Once the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them under cold running water and cut them into slices
- Toss Arugula and mixed field greens together with a little vinaigrette in a large bowl. Arrange greens onto a serving platter or chilled individual salad plates and top with roasted beets, orange slices, sliced fennel, and walnuts.
- Garnish with wispy fennel fronds, if desired, and serve immediately with remaining salad dressing. Enjoy!
This recipe from Functional Medicine Studio City can be prepared up to three days ahead of time, but the dressing should be added just before serving. For more healthy recipe tips, contact us at 818-505-9511 or come to 10645 Riverside Drive, Toluca Lake, CA 91602