Because less oil is required when roasting food than when shallow- or deep-frying, it is said to be healthier than other methods of cooking. Functional Medicine Los Angeles professionals employ roasting as one of their approaches. Meals as a result have fewer calories and fat.
This healthy, dairy-free roasted vegetable soup really hits the spot on a cold or chilly day. As an added bonus, it tastes even better the next day, so consider making a double or triple batch. It will store in the refrigerator for several days or it can be frozen for a quick lunch or light dinner later.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 4
Specialists from Functional Medicine Burbank provide safety tips: If you don’t have a stick or immersion blender, you can also process the cooked veggies and liquid in a blender. Make sure the blender lid is adequately vented to prevent the hot beverage from exploding, however.
1½ lbs. Roma tomatoes halved
2 medium red bell peppers, deseeded and quartered
1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
2 large carrots, cut in half lengthwise
2 medium shallots, outer skin removed and halved
4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 T. fresh thyme leaves
4 c. organic vegetable broth
½ c. full-fat coconut milk
½ c. fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Arrange the tomatoes, red peppers, fennel, carrots, shallots, and garlic in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to combine and sprinkle veggies with fresh thyme leaves.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and roast until vegetables are tender and lightly charred, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted veggies and any juices from the baking sheet to a large soup pot and add vegetable broth. Cook over medium heat, occasionally stirring, until hot and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the contents of the soup pot until completely smooth. Stir in the coconut milk and fresh basil, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Functional Medicine Studio City specialists enjoy providing their loyal clientele with more healthful guidance. You may find more healthful recipes here:
Services Areas Covered
Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA