Functional Medicine Los Angeles shares this quick and easy apple crisp as the perfect traditional dessert to beat up with all those freshly picked apples. You won’t believe one taste of this delicious dessert is both gluten and refined sugar-free. The addition of fresh thyme adds a subtle savory note to the otherwise sweet flavor profile of this classic recipe.
Tip: Choose firm apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady (pictured), for this recipe. These varieties will hold up well to the heat of baking without turning to mush.
1. Prep time: 20 minutes
2. Cook time: 45-50 minutes
3. Serves: 4-6
> 6 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
> 1 T. fresh lemon juice
> 1/3 c. real maple syrup
> 2 T. 100% apple juice (sugar-free)
> 1 t. ground cinnamon
> ½ t. ground allspice
> 1½ t. fresh thyme leaves
> ¼ t. salt
> 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
> 1/3 c. almond flour
> 1/3 c. almonds, sliced
> 1/3 c. honey, preferably local
> 3 T. unsalted butter, melted
To Serve: (Optional)
> Vanilla bean ice cream or freshly whipped cream
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish and set aside.
- Place apples in a large non-reactive bowl and toss with fresh lemon juice. Add maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon, allspice, thyme leaves, and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Pour the apple mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it into an even layer. Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned, cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes or until the apple crisp is nice and bubbling. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla bean iced cream or freshly whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Services Areas Covered
Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA